Wednesday, October 26, 2011

in my kitchen: pumpkin dump cake

today we are having a belated boss' day potluck at work so i thought it would be the perfect opportunity to make this cake that i've seen a million times on pinterest. does that not sound delicious!? it was super easy too! here's what you need:

pumpkin dump cake
15oz can pumpkin puree
10oz can evaporated milk
1 cup light brown sugar (not pictured)
3 eggs, beaten (not pictured)
3 tsp pumpkin pie spice
1 box yellow cake mix
1 cup (2 sticks) butter melted (not pictured)
1 cup coarsely crushed graham crackers or pecans (i used walnuts)

preheat oven to 350. spray a 9x13 baking pan w/ nonstick cooking spray. in large bowl, combine pumpkin puree, evaporated milk, brown sugar, eggs and pumpkin pie spice. pour evenly into pan. sprinkle entire contents of cake mix on top followed by the nuts. pour melted butter evenly on top. bake for 45-50 minutes until lightly browned (that's where i went wrong)

pumpkin dump cake

i set my timer for 45 minutes and walked away. i thought for sure i wouldn't need to check on it. well at 40 minutes i took a lil peek. and good thing i did! as you can see, mine came out a lil burnt :( i'll have to remember that it only needed 40 minutes next time i make it!

UPDATE: i just realized i set the oven to 400 instead of 350. no wonderrrr it burnt! haha!!



pumpkin dump cake

oh well! it still tastes yummy. that's all that matters to me! i think i'll be making this for thanksgiving. if you make it, let me know how it turned out! just make sure you check on it around the 40 minute mark :) enjoy!
xxoo

6 comments:

  1. Awe, I tend to burn things the first time around, too! I'll sometimes purposefully time it less than called for just to be safe. Was it like a cakey texture or what? I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  2. nichole its kinda like a cheesecake texture on the bottom. kinda? idk really lol it was yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen this around too now I really want to make one for sure

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww too bad it burnt! It looks really yummy though!!! If you have a chance, please check out/follow my fashion blog. It will mean the world to me if you did. Thanks so much in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too bad it burned but I agree, as long as it tastes good who cares?

    ReplyDelete